Mus102 Music Fundamentals

Syllabus 

Copyright © 2012 by Dr L.J.Solomon, PhD Music Theory & Composition


Course Description and Computer Requirements

Course Number: MUS 102
Course Title: Music Fundamentals
Prerequisites: None
Credits: 3 Credits

Course Description: A beginning course in the fundamentals of music. Course consists of a study of musical elements, terminology, rhythm, and music notation, including the staff, clefs, notes, intervals, scales, modes, chords, keys and signatures. Develops a basic understanding of basic elements and structures in music. 3 credits. See the Course Content  (below) for detail.
.
Computer Requirements: Internet Web access via computer, including e-mail. 


Discussions and Attendance

Since this is an Internet course there are no required class meetings. However, students are expected to participate in the class by  checking in weekly under Discussions, Check-In. Students are responsible for keeping up with notices posted to the Announcements, which may include updates or revisions to the syllabus. Any student not current with check-ins and assignments by the 40th day will be dropped from the class.  

"Notes" (under Discussions) is an opportunity to ask questions or discuss topics with fellow students. It is not to be used for topics outside of this course. Communication with your instructor should be via the Mail option, not through Discussions

The textbooks are the primary source of the information in this class; i.e., they are essential. There are also obligatory on-line drills on various topics.

Students are responsible for keeping communication channels open, to maintain E-mail, phone, computer, and Web access throughout the term.


Assignments and Assessments (Tests)

Assignments with their deadlines are posted by the instructor through the Assignments menu. This is also where students submit assignments.The homework portion of the class will be done via my textbook (readings) and workbook (problems), which are available electronically for free. Students can make their own printed copies if they wish.
 
The due dates for assignments out of the Workbook are shown on the Class Schedule page, which outlines the timetable for the term. I will provide a link to an answer page for each assignment, which has the graphics, if necessary, for each page. The grading will be done via the honor system. Students will grade their own homework and report the result to me through the Assignments tab on the menu. I will then record the result as a grade or percentage. At the end of the term I will average all the Workbook assignments and that average will comprise 25% of the term grade. The remaining 75% will be determined by the highest test scores (HTS) on three tests.

Late Assignments and Submissions: An assignment can only be submitted once; i.e., only the initial submission counts. Any duplicates are not counted. Late assignments may be submitted up to one week after the due date without penalty. After that, the assignment is deemed "missing" and will be recorded as a zero (()%).

When reporting results of an assignment with multiple pages, the student is required to report the score for each page AND compute an average score for the pages and report the average. Without the average score, the assignment is considered incomplete and will default to the lowest score submitted or to zero (0%) if missing.  

All exams are taken directly on a computer in the Assessments menu. All tests and assignments must reach the instructor by the Final Submission Date (at the bottom of the Class Schedule page). Assignments submitted more than one week late will not be accepted.. Testing rate is partly self-paced so that a student need not take an exam at the same time or day as other students. However, each test should be tried and submitted at least once by the dates shown on the Class Schedule. Otherwise a warning may be issued, and the student may be dropped from the class. Assignments can only be submitted once. Only the first submission counts.

Students may take any test up to three (3) times during the term up until the Final Submission Date posted at the end of the Class Schedule. Each test is different each time it is retaken. A 24 hour obligatory waiting period is required to retake a test. The students should consult with the instructor (by mail) and re-study the material before retaking any test. Any lack of such consultation usually results in failing a test, and is solely the student's responsibility.  Results of assessments can be viewed under "My Grades", or consult with the instructor via the Mail option. The highest test score (HTS) on any one test is used to determine the final grade for the class. (See "Grades").  Each test HST accounts for 25% of the term grade. These are averaged together at the end of the term, comprising 75% of the term grade. The remaining 25% is an average of the homework assignments. However, the Final Exam (TEST 3)  MUST PASS in order to pass the course. It is important to keep on schedule with testing.  It is inadvisable to retake tests on the last day of testing; students for whom the waiting period is unexpired will not be able to do so. Internet traffic on the last day may also prevent testing. Test dates on the Class Schedule are dates for taking exams in a timely manner but are not obligatory. Be sure to SAVE each answer, and when finishing a test be sure to press the FINISH and/or SUBMIT button; a test that is not submitted cannot be graded and will not count.

The Final Testing Date is the deadline when all exams must be finished.  It is the date posted at the end of the Class Schedule & Assignments  page. For convenience, each test also has a corresponding Sample Test listed and linked on the Schedule page. There is no limit to the number of times one may take a Sample Test (which is very similar to the official test). Passing the Sample Test  is recommended before taking an official test.


Grades and Drops

Students are expected to keep track of their own progress and grades to satisfy obligations for the class.

90-100% = A
80-89%   = B
70-79%   = C
60-69%   = D
below 60 = F (failing)

Once all Assessments are accounted for  the term grade will be calculated. The HTS (see Assessments) average will comprise 75% of the term grade. The average of  Assignments 1-7 will comprise the remaining 25% of the term grade. See also Assignments and Assessments. "Check-Ins" are used only to monitor class participation and drop-status. Missing assignments and check-ins by the 40th day will determine Drop status. The final exam must pass in order to pass the course. (See also Assignments and Assessments).

The term grade will be issued soon after the last Testing Date.  No Incompletes (I-grade) will be issued unless 1) only one grade is missing and there is an exceptional circumstances that prevented the student from completing the course obligations, and 2) the student requests an I. Any such circumstances must be explained to the instructor immediately, and no later than a week before the final date on the syllabus, and the instructor must approve the excuse before an I-grade can be issued. 

If there is any question about exams and grades accounted for, or if any are missing, students must check with the Instructor by Mail at least one week before the last date of testing. Any outstanding exams still to be taken should be reported at that time with the date of intended completion. Otherwise, the instructor's records are deemed complete and correct by default. Students should be able to view a term grade via the College System once they become available. Do not ask the Instructor for the term grade before the end of the term. You should receive this from the centrtal office. That grade is usually the average of the HTS scores + assignments, according to the above percentages. Missing assignments/tests are zeros (0) (see above). So, any student can easily compute their own progress and grade as they progres through the term.

A grade of C or better is required for any general education class, such as Mus102, in order to count towards graduation. C means average, and C is normally the average grade for this course. The D-grade does not qualify for AGEC, even though it is technically passing for this course.


Textbooks & Manuscript Paper

The texts are available on-line in PDF format, free of charge, You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to read and print these. Adobe Acrobat Reader is available as a free download from Adobe at http://get.adobe.com/reader/. The textbooks may also be available as printed books in the Pima College West Campus bookstore. Check with the bookstore.

L. Solomon: Music Fundamentals (main textbook)
L. Solomon: Music Fundamentals Workbook (essential assignments)

Optional: L. Solomon: Resources for Music Theory & Composition (reference material & manuscript paper)
Other optional: L. Solomon: Anthology of Music

Manuscript paper template masters are available on the web at such sites as http://www.digbydoodle.com , or do a web search for "music manuscript paper". I suggest eight staffs or less per page for learning purposes. Print them on your printer. 


Performance Objectives


Instructor

My name is Dr Solomon (which is how I prefer to be addressed), and I am the instructor in this class. I'll try to make this a rewarding and interesting experience for you. My quickest and easiest contact is via the Mail option. I check this daily. Please use the mail option if at all possible. If necessary, my voice mail is 520-206-6464, Box 65298.This frequently does not work. In an emergency, you may contact me via email at solomon666@solomonsmusic.net. 


 

Student Rights and Responsibilities:

 

By enrolling in this class, you have specific student rights as well as responsibilities, a code of conduct, and a scholastic ethics code to follow while enrolled at Pima Community College.  These policies are listed in the current student handbook and on the Pima web site. Read the student handbook completely and refer to it when necessary.  Your student responsibilities are available online at: http://www.pima.edu/studentserv/studentrights

Breaches in scholastic ethics, such as cheating on an exam, copying someone else’s work (plagiarism), or stealing exams, etc., will result in failing the class (grade=F).


Students with Disabilities ... ADA Statement

It is the policy of Pima County Community College District to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended. In addition, Pima County Community College District complies with other applicable federal and state laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. No qualified person will, solely by reason of disability, be denied access to, participation in, or the benefits of any program, activity, or service offered by the College.  Students who require accommodations under the ADA or Section 504 are encouraged to contact a Disabled Student Resource (DSR) Specialist on any campus. DSR personnel conduct intake interviews, prepare student service plans, and make eligibility determinations. West Campus (520) 206-6688 (Voice/TTY). http://www.pima.edu/dsr/

The regulation defines a person with a disability as any person who has "a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such impairment, or is regarded as having such impairment."

ADA SYLLABUS STATEMENT PROVIDED BY EEO/ADA OFFICE

 

Pima Community College is committed to providing accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in a timely and effective manner.  To request a reasonable accommodation, students must be registered with the campus Disabled Student Resources (DSR) office.  Accommodations will be made based on eligibility determined by Disabled Student Resources.  Services can be requested at any time during the semester.  Requesting services well in advance will help to ensure that resources are available when needed.  Please contact a DSR office at

206-4500 or DSRhelp@pima.edu.

 

 

Student Rights and Responsibilities: By enrolling in this class, you have specific student rights as well as responsibilities. You also have a code of conduct and a scholastic ethics code to follow while enrolled at Pima Community College.  These policies are listed at: http://www.pima.edu/studentserv/studentrights/.  As well, you can also see the office of student services for further information.

 

 


MUS 102 Course Content

Music Fundamentals

Transferability: transfers as AGEC equivalent in most fields at UA, ASU, or NAU. Consult with a program advisor or counselor to assure proper transfer.


Solomon's Music Theory & Composition Resources

 Back to Contents      

 Top